Overview - What is the Extern Job Shadowing Program?
The Extern Career Exploration Program is a complete process of career education, exploration and reflection. It is designed to help students gain insight about themselves, get firsthand exposure from professionals, and use the experience to make choices about their futures. .
Who is this for and What will I learn?
Eligibility: Currently enrolled U of T students and recent graduates who are, at time of application, also registered with their campus career centre. If you have questions about your eligibility, please phone Andrea Tirone, (416) 978-7764
- Which careers align with your values, interests, skills and knowledge
- How to effectively research careers
- What a career area of your interest is really like, through in-person visits and networking opportunities with professionals at their workplaces
- How to reflect on your experience and make choices about your future career
How does it work?
Students wishing to participate need to:
- Register with their campus career centre
- Submit your Program Registration Form online by the deadline date of November 1st, 2012 for the February program and February 13th, 2013 for the May program. REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
- Tell us which career area you would like to explore by filling out a short questionnaire
- Attend an Extern Career Education & Program Orientation Session. (October for the February program and February for the April/May program)
- Apply to placements
- Confirm their acceptance of the awarded placement
- Attend an Extern Placement Preparation Session. NOTE that previous participants do NOT need to attend this session
- Complete a reflection, either in person or online
- Conplete a short online program evaluation
- Pick Up their program certificate
*NOTE: You must be registered with your campus Career Centre before registering for the Extern Program. Click here to register now.
Testimonials - What 2012 Participants said about the Extern Program
" At first, I wasn't too sure what to expecting since this was my first job-shadowing placement. It wasn't long before I got a warm welcome from many of the workers at my placement. Everyone was incredibly friendly and did not hesitate to introduce themselves….I asked dozens of questions and I did not feel like I was a burden to anyone because they genuinely tried to help students on their career path. Thank you Roxanne (and your team) for organizing this extern program, I deeply appreciate it! "
" It is a rewarding experience, upon which I will always look back with fondness. "
" My placement was great! I learned a lot and everyone was very nice. "
" I also want to take this opportunity to thank you again for giving me the placement. I really learned a lot and I think it was an amazing experience. "
" It was very enjoyable to participate in this program, thanks again. "
" Firstly, I'd like to thank you for your hard work in facilitating this program- it was honestly the best decision I made to participate in it! "
" It was a lovely learning experience for me, and a nice break from school also. "
Extern Job Shadowing Program contact information
Extern Job Shadowing Program
Questions, need accommodations?
If you have any questions or require accommodations (e.g. sign language interpreters, assistive devices,
large print materials, etc.), please contact our office at 416-978-7764 or email@example.com