Workshops are one or two hours in length and can help you clarify your career questions,
connect with other students who share the same concerns and build life long skills.
These sessions address specific aspects of the process of looking for work or deciding
on career options. To view the monthly schedule of the workshops and tutorials offered, view the online calendar.
- Career Choice and Your Personality sign up view calendar
Gain greater insight into who you are. Based on your natural preferences, you will generate a list of potentially satisfying career areas.
- You and Your Career Interests sign up view calendar
Using the Strong Interest Inventory assessment, this workshop will help you gain greater insight into your interests and generate a list of potentially satisfying career areas.
- You've Got Skills view calendar
This workshop will help you begin to identify the skills you have developed through your diverse experiences including volunteer, internships, academic project work, service learning, extracurricular involvement and paid work.
- Finding Full-Time Work view calendar
Uncover valuable techniques that will enable you to find unadvertised work opportunities. Learn and practice strategies to make contact with employers such as networking, cold calling and information interviews.
- Finding Work: Academic Work Search (PhDs and Post Docs) download view calendar
Learn what the academic work search process entails and how to prepare effectively.
- Finding Work: Non-Academic Work Search (Masters and PhDs) download view calendar
This workshop will help graduate students learn how to find non-academic work by utilizing various work search strategies, conducting effective company and labour market research, and identifying useful resources.
- Finding Part-Time Work view calendar
Discover tips and techniques to gain valuable work experience during your university years. Find out more about work-study and on-campus
- Finding Summer Work view calendar
Find out about the latest government programs as well as tips and techniques on how to make the most of your summer work search.
- Graduating from Arts and Science: Now What view calendar
Learn how to create an action plan to transition to work, further education or a gap year. Topics include; how to explore your career options, effective job search strategies and applying to graduate and professional school.
- Using LinkedIn to Effectively Job Search view calendar
In this hands-on session you learn: how to incorporate social media strategies into your networking and job search; and how to update your LinkedIn profile so that it looks attractive to employers. Set-up your LinkedIn profile at linkedin.com prior to event
- Effective Interviewing for Non-Academic Settings (Masters and PhDs) download view calendar
Learn how to prepare for interviews, what to expect during the interview, and how to handle interview questions for non-academic settings.
- Interview Techniques view calendar
Develop strategies to enhance your effectiveness in the interview. Learn what to expect in interviews and how to handle difficult and typical questions. Gain interview experience.
- Medical School Interviews view calendar
Learn how to prepare for the medical school interview including developing strategies for anticipating and answering questions.
- The Academic Interview (for Masters and PhDs) download view calendar
Learn what the academic interview entails and how to prepare effectively.
Resumes, Cover Letters
- Resume and Cover Letter Essentials view calendar
Do you have little or no knowledge in preparing a resume or cover letter? In this workshop, you will learn how to design an effective resume and cover letter. No preparation is required before attending.
- CV Tutorial (for Masters and PhDs) view calendar
Applying to academic positions (example: Assistant/Associate Professor; TA; Post-Docs, RA)?. Bring your CV and a job posting to this interactive session to analyze the components of your CV and assess its overall effectiveness. Pre-requisite: review online e-learning CV module.
- Personal Statement Tutorials download view calendar
Does your personal statement stand out? Bring your draft letter to this tutorial to analyze and assess the effectiveness of your personal statement. Pre-requisite: review online e-learning Personal Statement module.